Can my wife obtain a court order to take my children to Ireland without my permission ?
Yes, your wife can apply for a court order to take your children to Ireland permanently without your permission. However, the court would grant this order only if it's in the best interests of the children.
She would need to file for leave to permanently remove the children from the jurisdiction of the court. To obtain permission from the court, she would have to show:
1. That she has considered contact, and has put forward very decent proposals;
2. That her reason for going is not to damage the relationship between you and your children;
3. That the economic circumstances of the children will not decrease;
4. That the housing circumstances will not decrease;
5. That the education the children will receive is at least as good as that they receive now;
6. That the location is generally safe;
7. That overall she has a considered and well put together plan for the move.
Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).