Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My DOB is 23/02/1959 Since Aug 1994 I have worked for an

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my DOB is 23/02/1959
Since Aug 1994 I have worked for an independent opticians as a Practice Manager & Bookkeeper. I work 28 hours per week for £26,500 with a £250 quarterly bonus & £1000 annual bonus if targets are reached. I am now on 6 weeks holiday per year.
I have 2 questions please.
My job is easily split in 2 & I enjoy the bookkeeping side more but unfortunately I don't always get the time needed to for fill the roll satisfactory. Can I ask to take voluntary redundancy & then work self employed as a bookkeeper on reduced hours? If so what type of redundancy figure could I hope to negotiate? (Bonuses have always been achieved) Can the manager roll then be taken over by another member of staff on top of their current position. I would also be prepared to receive redundancy in 2 payments over a year as this would help my boss but is that feasible?
Or I am prepared to give up the management side & hand over to another member of staff and reduce my hours and just do the bookkeeping but can I expect my salary rate, bonuses, holiday (understand pro rata) to remain the same or would my boss be allowed to reduce it?
I can't afford to retire yet & enjoy working but think it's time I reviewed my situation.
Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Have you approached the employer over this yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thought I would on Monday as wanted to know where I stand first.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thought I would on Monday but wanted to know where I stand first.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Whilst there is nothing stopping you from asking the employer to make you redundant, that is unlikely to happen because there is no redundancy situation. For a redundancy situation to occur there has to be a need to reduce the employees doing a particular job – if there is still a need for the job and for someone to do it then there is no redundancy. So there would be no obligation to make you redundant in the circumstances because there is simply no redundancy. Saying that the employer could consider doing something to make the role redundant such as removing it as a standalone position and joining it with someone else’s duties – in that case a redundancy could arise and they could decide to make you redundant from that post – however remember that this is all voluntary and at their discretion so you cannot force them to do it but of course you can propose it. Any of the other options you have put forward are potentially agreeable with the employer if they are happy to do it – to be honest this is all down to negotiating with the employer and seeing what they are prepared to do. If they are adamant that they are not going to change anything, then you will have to consider either continuing under the current arrangements, or resigning from the specific posts you no longer want to do.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.