Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I am asking this question on behalf of my boyfriend.He has

Customer Question

I am asking this question on behalf of my boyfriend.
He has today been informed that there has been a, so far, informal complaint made against him of sexual harassment by one of his members of staff. He had a consensual relationship with this person from October to December last year. Her colleague, also one of his staff, has also made a complaint, saying that he is bullying her.
His boss has not told him any information about these allegations, and he has received this information from a colleague who was in the meeting when this was raised as an issue.
He has raised a grievance to his boss saying he would like to know the details of what he has been accused of, especially as his boss has sent these two staff members home for the rest of the week.
He has been told that he is to continue with his work as there are deadlines to meet and he will be told 'if and when' the complaint becomes formal.
He is finding being in this work place intolerable now, and wants to get signed off sick.
Can you please advise as to his position?
Thank you
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 7 months ago.
If he is suffering from stress and needs to be signed off sick then he will certainly in these circumstances need a letter from his GP to formally sign him off. Informal or not it would appear that his ex has raised a grievance and the company should deal with it properly. The ACAS Code of Practice sets out standards of fairness and reasonable behaviour that employers and employees are expected to follow in most situations when dealing with a dispute. He should be able to find details of your employer's grievance procedure in your Company Handbook, HR or Personnel manual, on your HR intranet site or in your contract of employment. I would also suggest that he meet formally with his employer for an initial meeting at a reasonable time and place to discuss his grievance. He has a right to ask either a colleague from work or a trade union representative to accompany you to the meeting. His employer should give him the opportunity to explain your grievance and any suggestions he may have for resolving it. After the meeting, his employer should write to him, telling him what they have decided to do about the grievance. I would be very happy to answer any questions arising. Please rate positive
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am an employment lawyer and I will help you with this issue. Can you please let me know how long he has worked there for?
Do you have any additional questions?