Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I have two employees that have worked than 12 months.

Customer Question

I have two employees that have worked for less than 12 months. They are gardeners, and work on an hourly basis, and I do not believe they have a contract. I am trying to reduce labour costs, and these two individuals could be replaced by on outside contracting service for less cost. What are my options?
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Anything else I can tell the Employment Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are their contractual notice periods?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There don't seem to be any contracts. They are working about 40 hours each and paid hourly.
You will be able to dismiss them quite easily because if they have less than 2 years service they will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means you can dismiss them for more or less any reason as log as it is not discriminatory in nature such as because of their age, race, religion, gender etc. I do not see this being relevant here though so do not worry about it. You may therefore issue them with notice of termination to end their employment and replace them as necessary.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the notice period requirements which you must adhere to, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.