Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I'm Dennis. I'm on a final written warning

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Dennis. I'm on a final written warning for sickness (for 1 year). However, I've had 2 bouts of illness since it was issued (April 17th 2015). one was 1 week in November 2015 and the other was March 2016. I had a meeting with my manager last Friday and was told I could be dismissed due to not telling them I had a sick note which I did have. Also, I phoned in late on Tuesday 29th March and this could go against me as well. I'm really worried about in to work tomorrow.
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Anything else I can tell the Employment Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Employment Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
God, I'm nervous
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello, how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
six years
Did anything happen when you went to work yesterday?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No but I've got the disciplinary meeting today - 06/04/16 at 11.00am
Sorry we keep missing each other. I don't want to just go ahead and provide any advice if it is no longer relevant so let me know what happened with the disciplinary and if you need me to help you with that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been sacked
Hi, sorry to hear that. Now that you have been dismissed your options are as follows:· First appeal the dismissal with the employer direct· If the appeal is rejected you can only take this to the employment tribunal and claim for unfair dismissal and/or disability discrimination· To claim discrimination you need to show that you actually had a disability – this does not mean being registered disabled but meeting certain criteria established in law So this is all you can do after dismissal. There are also ways in negotiating with the employer to try and get a settlement without having to submit a claim. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the law on disability and how to work out if you are disabled, plus the negotiating options you can use, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you