Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I'm a wedding coordinator 4 star hotel on saturday I wa

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I'm a wedding coordinator for a 4 star hotel on saturday I wa handed an investigatory hearing notification letter
JA: The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't the hearing is on Thursday
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: It's because the ops manager doesn't believe I'm proactive enough, the hotel sales have been on a decline way before I started working there 18 months ago
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: Our top Employment Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Employment Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Employment Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are your specific queries about this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I received a letter from my ops manager informing me of an investigatory hearing regarding my role as wedding coordinator. Basicly sales are on the decline however I do not feel that I have all the resources I need as most people don't even know our hotel exists
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've worked with the company for 18 months yes I have made a few mistakes but nothing that would harm the company in any way. I am too trusting with my clients and will give a little extra time on payments as I do not like to pressure people however if I have to I will. I put in more hours than I an paid for and try to go above and beyond for my couples on their Wedding day. I have no budget to spend on advertising. I have asked if I can organise our events to bring in revenue however my ideas always get put down as we will look into it and it never happens.What should I do to prepare for te hearing and can they fire me at this stage.

At this stage it is only an investigatory meeting – there is no assumption of guilt and it is just an opportunity for them to find out what is happening and ask you questions and at the same time for you to talk with them about their concerns. This is not a formal disciplinary so you are not expected to formally defend yourself. As such there is not much preparation that is needed or that can be done. You only know that the reasons for asking you to attend are that they believe you are not proactive enough so you just have to think about examples to shoe that it not the case.

In terms of dismissal, if you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.) or because you were trying to assert any of your statutory rights (e.g. requesting maternity/paternity leave, etc.).

If the dismissal had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it and your only protection would be if you were not paid your contractual notice period, because unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct, you would be entitled to receive your contractual notice period. If you did not have a written contract in place you would be entitled to the minimum statutory notice period of 1 week. Your employer would either have to allow you to work that notice period and pay you as normal, or they will have to pay you in lieu of notice.

So it is possible that they could dismiss you now or at any time within the next 6 months and you would not be able to challenge it. Of course it does not mean that they will but the option is there if they need it.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.