Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I had a corporate credit card with my last employer, which

Customer Question

I had a corporate credit card with my last employer, which was used to book and pay for company related travel. In the last few weeks of work, they told me there were some issues with my expenses. I had left and it seems that they did not pay AMEX the outstanding balance. However, I got a call today from a collection agency who have told me I am liable for the outstanding balance. They told me the card was limited liability and my employer is not liable. This makes no sense to me, as I cannot see I can be only liable on a corporate key. I am worried and not sure what to do. Some advice would be appreciated.This is a UK question.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who was the card issued against, who was the account holder and have you checked the terms to see who has liability?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The account was in my name and I don't have the terms to hand. However, collection agency says I am liable, but I was not credit checked when taking the card. I have asked for the terms and conditions, but agency told met that they are only coming to me for debt.

It is indeed possible to have corporate or individual liability, or joint, on credit cards. However, I am not too sure if there are requirements under the Consumer Credit Act or similar legislation that may make it invalid for example if you were not credit checked or signed an agreement. So I will have to ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you