Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I received a conditional offer of voluntary redundancy on

Customer Question

For Ben Jones
I received a conditional offer of voluntary redundancy on the 30th Dec 2015. It was conditional on other staff higher ranked than me turning it down so that I could receive it. As a result I was not formally notified of my selection for redundancy until 15th January 2016.
My employer is stating that my notice period starts from 30th Dec 2015.
I think it should start from 15th January 2016. I have been employed for almost 14 years.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I would agree that the notice period should start from the 15 Jan rather than 30 Dec. It is possible for it to have started in Dec but that must have been made very clear in the offer so that you knew exactly what the employer's plans were. Just because they made a conditional offer on that date does not mean that the notice period would start to run from then, it would generally start to run once the conditions have been satisfied and you have been formally informed that the offer is going ahead. So you do have grounds to challenge this further.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.