Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

For ***** ***** ......My son worked gym as a fitness

Customer Question

Customer: For ***** ***** Jones......My son worked for a gym as a fitness instructor for the past 2 months. A week ago, they 'let him go' stating initially that they had found someone older and more experienced to do his job. They have since said they have discovered my son had been talking about the owners to clients, in a way (they believe) was disrespectful. My son denies this, albeit he did admit to telling a client the female owner intimidated him. My son is owed over £750 in wages which they now say they are withholding as they will use the money to cover damages to their club (a private and sole outlet, not a chain). I have seen texts the owner sent my son after he left in which no mention was made of any alleged comments! He is now out of pocket 3 weeks before Christmas- has he any claim to the money he is owed? His Mum returned his uniform to the gym, and they even gave her his wage slip! He should have been paid on the 25th November, and they will owe him another half month in December, almost a thousand pounds. Help?!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What further details? He hasn't ever signed a contract, and they have offered nothing in writing to say why he has left. They initially offered a reference and are now refusing to do that.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I'm in no rush!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was he employed as an employee or self employed?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - was he working as an employee or self employed?