Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I'm an employer, a roofing contractor - we have a contract

Customer Question

I'm an employer, a roofing contractor - we have a contract with our employees which states they are to provide their own 'everyday' hand tools such as hammers, hand-saws, tape measures, etc - although they continually 'book down' new tools to or account as and when they need them, some times we tend to turn a blind eye, but are we right to tell them to provide there own tools?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are they employees or subcontractors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Employees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. It is certainly possible for you, as an employer, to make it a condition of employment for your employees to provide their own tools of the trade. You state that this is already something which is contained in their contracts so you can apply that. Therefore, if employees do not act in accordance with such a clause and violate it, you could treat their actions as misconduct and take curter action. It is probably best not to jump to disciplinary straight away and to consider making a company-wide announcement to remind employees of the policy and what they can and can't do and tell them that further violations may result in disciplinary action. Only if they continue to ignore the rules should they be disciplined.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of legal requirements you must comply with when tools are involved, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.