Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I am putting together a contract after school nanny (10 hrs

Customer Question

hi,
I am putting together a contract for my after school nanny (10 hrs per week typically at 9 pounds per hour). She is only going to be working for 3 months with me and I want to keep it flexible (pay only if she works). I will be doing payroll as she is employed in another job. Can I put a zero hour contract or should I go for a fixed term contract?
-Vidya
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Is she going to be an employee or self employed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
employee
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

You would probably be better off going for a zero hours contract here because that means no hours are going to be guaranteed. And you could end her employment at any time simply by giving her the required notice under contract or law. With a fixed term contract, whilst you do not have to provide a fixed number of hours, she will get extra protection in terms of not being treated detrimentally because of her fixed term status and you having to justify the dismissal at the end. So just have a simple zero hours contract, with no minimum term of employment and no fixed hours and make it clear she will only be working on an as-needed basis without any specified hours of work.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.