Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  17 years experience
53108719

My sister in law has bipolar she worked in an old people's

Customer Question

My sister in law has bipolar she worked in an old people's home but her former employer will not give her a job the employer said she could not employ her because of her mental illness is this discrimination against my sister in law .
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes, the employer's response and refusal to re-employ your sister in law breaches the provisions of sections 6 & 60 of the Equality Act 2010, as it amounts to discrimination on the basis of your sister in law's disability, her mental illness, so that he doesn't offer her a job, or her old job back in the old people's home. So your sister in law can sue the former employer for discriminating against her. So I would advise her to see a solicitor and take legal proceedings.