Matt J
Matt J, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with over 5 years experience in Civil, Commercial and Employment Law matters
13732703

I am making a claim against an employer and they have filled

Customer Question

Hi I am making a claim against an employer and they have filled out a n244 application form and have requested an extension of 3 months for the court hearing. I just recieved a letter from the court to say that I have 7 days to object to this extension. How do I do this? Is there a special form or do I just send a letter?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

HI I will try and help

Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

Is this a small claims matter or fast track?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a small claims court
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Then you may simply write to the court with your objections in a letter. You should justify your objections of course and sign the letter. The court then may make a decision of its own volition (most likely) or have a telephone or in person hearing.

Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps. Do ask any follow up questions. If you are happy then please leave positive feedback so I can be paid for my time. The question wont close and if you think of any questions later down the line you can come back to the question and post again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letter says that I must pay a small fee on filing the letter. Do you know much this could be and when I would have to pay it? There was nothing written about cost on the letter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I received the letter on Monday 7th of sept 2015. The letter says I have 7 days to reply. The letter was dated the 3rd of September. Does that mean that they have to receive my letter by Friday this week?
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

on the issue of the costs as you didn't make the application I cant see why you are being asked to pay, this would be for the Defendant to pay. the only costs that I think it is possible that you could be being asked to pay are perhaps as follows:-

Application on notice where no other fee is specified. £155

Application by consent or without notice where no other fee is specified. £50

However the best hing to do is call the Court and ask them

As to the timing it is usually 7 days from the date of the letter. As this is not working days I would say this would be 10th Sep to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I will be able to have the letter prepared in time. I should be able to get it to the court by the 11th. Do u think this would be ok?
Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

What exactly does the letter say? Does it say "7 days from the date of this letter" or "7 days from receipt of this letter" or something else?

Expert:  Matt J replied 1 year ago.

Hi, do you still require my help on this matter?