Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Ben; we have personnel working 12hr shifts on one of our

Customer Question

hi ben; we have personnel working 12hr shifts on one of our clients sites, however the client does not wish to pay for the 30min lunch break, is this correct or are the obliged to pay for this?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, there is actually no requirement on employers to pay their employees for the breaks they take. Workers have the legal right to take 20 minutes off for every 6 hours of work but there is nothing in law that says these breaks must be paid. So they can decide not to pay them and that would be perfectly legal.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you