Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I wish to record my conversations at inspire2independence

Customer Question

I wish to record my conversations at inspire2independence but they tell me I can't do this because it is against data protection
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the nature of the conversations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The conversations are to do with work related activities which I believe are wholly inappropriate for my needs and circumstance.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

And what would the contents be in terms of personal information - would it only be personal details about you or about others too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only personal details about me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although other voices ie of i2i staff will also be recorded.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Data protection regulations relate to the processing of personal data about an individual. Any data from which a living individual could be identified is covered and there would be specific rules about how a data controller (i.e. those who store the data) processed the information. For example, if the organisation was to record the meetings they would have to follow specific rules about how they store it, how long they store it for, to keep it confidential, etc. That is because they would be recording personal data about you and they owe you those duties under the Data Protection Act. However, you are recording data about yourself, not about someone else and as such you would not have to be bound by those rules. Had you been recording data about others, then there would have been data protection issues but that is not the case. As long as the personal information in the meetings relates solely to you, then you are free to record them and do with the recordings as you wish. However, the organisation may have its own policy prohibiting any recordings and that would be an internal rule which you would need to abide by if you had agreed to their general terms when you decided to deal with them. So they may still prevent you from recording it as it would breach their own rules. That does not stop you from secretly recording the meetings if you wanted to but you would still be in violation of their rules, if they do exist, and they could terminate their relationship with you.

I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.