Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Is my employer required to change my work contract if my duties

Customer Question

Is my employer required to change my work contract if my duties are evolving to be more home based?
Also, due to a lot of home working lately and looking more likely it will become more frequent.Should my employer contribute to my home broadband data usage (currently. N some used for purpose has used nearly 30GB of data in just over a month )?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've worked there for over 10 Years.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Are the changes to your job description going to be permanent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At the moment nothing has changed within my contract but my role has evolved as such that there is more home working involved and likely going to be in the future as thats whats required from my employer. So what I'm effectively asking is if my role has changed does my original work contract require updating or some sort to include home working?..sorry to be confusing!

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Please ignore - posted in error. Will respond fully shortly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You havent answered my question!

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry I edited the post immediately as it was posted in error. Going back to your query, whilst ideally the employer would be expected to amend your contract to reflect the changes that is not a legal requirement. It is not uncommon for a job to change or evolve and the employee to be left with their original contract. It is best that an updated contract is issued so that there is clarity on what you do, in order to avoid any potential disputes and so that both parties know where they stand. In any event, if no updated contract is issued, it could be that your new duties would become an implied contractual term anyway, even if nothing in writing is agreed This is known as ‘custom and practice’, although it would take some time for this to happen and you would need to show that these changes had been applied continuously over a period of time. In terms of the broadband usage there is certainly nothing in law which requires the employer to compensate you for that. Employees could incur all sorts of expenses in the course f their employment, such as phone bills, petrol costs, travel costs, etc – it does not mean the employer would reimburse you for them They may decide to but that is down to them – it depends on the contract you have with them really. You can ask them to compensate you but if it is not in your contract then they do not have to. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you