Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I am Sarah. We have an employee who has worked four days a Week /2 yea

Customer Question

Hi , I am Sarah.
We have an employee who has worked four days a Week for us for 61/2 years. He is paid through payroll but does not have a written contract. We need to reduce his working hours, hopefully temporarily due to financial difficulties with the business, but maybe permanently if things do not improve. How much notice do we have to give him ,that his hours will be reduced temporarily (probably to 2 days a week) , if he agrees due to the difficulties?
If we cannot then increase the hours if the business does not improve, how would the redundancy on those two days reduced be calculated, or would there not be redundancy, if we have given him paid notice of the reduction in hours and he has agreed to it?
If we have to make him redundant at a later date , due to business worsening further , what would we need to pay based on the reduction to 2 days with notice and then redundancy after the working hours reduction? How would as and when hours work after either reduction/redun
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long do you think the changes will last for initially?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - how long do you realistically think the changes will last for?