Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

JohnI have 5 late payments on my credit file. i made an

Customer Question

Hi John
I have 5 late payments on my credit file. i made an agreement last month ans paying from 2 months on a loan. if a UK bank do a pre employment credit check will that be a problem?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.
I think your chosen expert is off-line because you have waited a day for this. I will try to help you.
There is nothing legally which stops a bank or any other employer for that matter employing you regardless of what it says on your credit history.
It doesn’t matter whether they have been paid but still feature or whether you have come to an agreement to pay them, the decision rests fairly and squarely with them. You would have no recourse if they decided not to employ you because of this.
I can tell you that some banks take the stance that unless someone’s credit history is absolutely 110% squeakyclean, they will simply not take a person on.
It does come down to the individual bank.
I’m sorry, I know this isn’t the answer you wanted but I don’t make the rules I simply regurgitate them. It really comes down to the individual bank and there is no definitive answer.
Even so, does it answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?