Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I recently left a company who I had a company car with (because there

Customer Question

I recently left a company who I had a company car with (because there was no allowance option). As I was half way through the lease when I left they wanted £5,500 from me for the outstanding PUC. They stopped ALL my pay in March without written notice. Also since taking the car, my role changed and location meaning I had no choice but to look for a job closer to home. Do I stand a chance of getting my owed money that they stopped?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was there anything in your contract or in the car policy which states that they can deduct monies for this reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not in my contract. But in the company car policy it does state that any outstanding PUC I would be liable for should I leave of my own accord. I had no choice but to take a company car, which at the time I opted for a 'nicer' car as I was in it for about 5 hours a day. However, several months later I moved departments (my contract was never amended), and my new job was based in London so was using the trains and very rarely the car. As I was working so far from home (midlands) I had to look for something closer to home so I didn't need to stop over.
Is there anything which specifically states monies can be deducted from salary for this reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where possible money will be taken via salary (in the company car policy) however, I was never notified in writing that this would happen after they worked out money. They wrote to me saying that I owed £4,500 which should be paid in 28 days, with no mention of salary. Turns out they had already deducted money owed for time and owed money BUT when my pay slip came they had also deducted bonus owed. I asked for a breakdown (in writing via e-mail) of how they arrived at £4,500 and I never received a response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, should say they already deducted basic salary and owed holiday
Do you know what has happened to the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's gone on a re-allocation list for the company, and whoever gets the car will only pay the tax on it - Bargain for them!
Please bear with me while I prepare an answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have received a call from HR confirming I will not get money owed but I will not have to pay outstanding balance, so a response would be much appreciated.