Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
32019188

My line manager has called me for a meeting tomorrow. The meeting

My line manager has called me for a meeting tomorrow. The meeting is innocuously positioned as a work related meeting. But, I suspected something was cooking so I played detective. I have reasons to believe that this is a summary dismissal meeting on grounds of his perception that I am non-performing at work, and that HR will also be in attendance. I believe the company does not want to go through a performance management process with me for their commercial reasons. I am thinking of covertly recording the meeting - but is there anything else I can do / should be prepared with for tomorrow. Can I blow the whistle that the company is likely to be breaking employment law tomorrow - or may be this is a bit too much. My objective is to maximise any possible settlement.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 1 year ago.

Jenny McKenzie : Hello and welcome to Just Answer, how long have you worked there for?
Customer:

Hi Jenny, two and a half years

Jenny McKenzie :

So I assume you have not been invited to a formal disciplinary hearing with the right to be accompanied?

Customer:

No.. this seems to be a preemptive strike

Jenny McKenzie :

If they were to dismiss you tomorrow it would amount to unfair dismissal and you would have the right to appeal and bring a claim in the employment tribunal and you would win on both substantive and procedural grounds.

Jenny McKenzie :

I would actually do nothing and see if you do get dismissed, if you point the law out to them tomorrow they may just decide to follow the correct procedure.

Jenny McKenzie :

Obviously it is up to you which way you play it. It may be that they will have an 'off record' discussion with you to say you can either leave or they will go down the procedure. This is ok and not unlawful. If they do you should ask for compensation for loss of earnings for the period of time you think it will be likely to be offered a new job.

Jenny McKenzie :

If you have any further questions please ask. IF I have answered your quesiton satisfactorily I would be grateful if you would rate my answer. Thank you and all the bestr.

Customer:

Thank you Jenny.. I was thinking if there was any opportunity to do anything tomorrow, however I take your point that I have to wait to see what they do.

Jenny McKenzie,
Experience: 10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR