Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR

Situation: My our family has a start up company raising bees

My our family has a start up company raising bees selling honey and bee products (bee venom, propolis, pollen and wax). He is 15 and is very active in the business with regard to revenue stream identification and processes needed to make these viable. At present he works up to 2 hours after he has finished his school work and when he is available on weekends.
Week days- He can work up to a maximum of 10 hours every other week and 8 hours during the other weeks.
Weekends- he can do 10 hours every other weekend and 0 hours during the other weekends.
Total per week: 20 and opposite weekends 8 hours = 56 hours in a month if all hours worked he does not always work the full number of available hours.

1) Does this in anyway break rules around children working (He will be 16 in May 2014)
2) We pay him 3.70 per hour at present is there a minimum wage to be applied or is it as I suspect at the discretion of the owners (Bear in mind that he is considered a partner in the concern and does participate in all discussions)

Jenny McKenzie :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, can you tell me how many hours he works in a week and the times that he is likely to work them?

Customer: Hi Jenny,
Customer: Sorry I had to step away
Customer: 2 weeks up to 10 hours mon - Friday and up to 8 hour Sat and Sunday
Customer: Sorry 2 weeks up to 10 hours per week and 8 hours over Sat - Sun
Customer: 2 weeks up to 8 hours and no weekend working
Customer: Bear in mind these are max times depending on school work he may not be able to work the 2 hours he may only be able to do 1 or no hours on a given day.
Customer: 18.00 - 20.00 during school days he is off to bed at 21.30 Weekends tend to be Saturday 13.00 - 19.00 and remaining tasks are finished on Sunday of course again all is dependent on school time tables.
Customer: School work is always given priority, as well bed time is a hard fast rule
Jenny McKenzie : Thanks I am just in a meeting I will get back to you this evening.
Customer: Hi Jenny, could we finish this discussion? Many thanks Kim
Jenny McKenzie :

Hello Kim sorry for the delay.

Jenny McKenzie :

So long as he does not work between the restricted hours of 10 pm -7 am and works no more than 40 hours per week there is no breach of health and safety law concerning young workers.

Jenny McKenzie :

The money you are paying him is also more than the minimum required for young workers (which is currently £3.53 per hour)

Jenny McKenzie :

There is therefore nothing wrong with what you are doing at the moment.

Jenny McKenzie :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to take the time to rate my answer. thank you and all the best.

Customer: Hi Jenny,
Jenny McKenzie :

Hi is there anything further you would like to know about this?

Customer: Is there any reason I shouldn't write this into a contract? The reason I ask is to formalise this work as proof for DOE (Duke of Edinburgh) and his CV going forward...
Jenny McKenzie :

There is no reason whatsoever why you should not write a contract setting this out.

Customer: Ok thanks I am very satisfied with your answers thank you for your patience
Jenny McKenzie :

No problem, I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. I am happy to answer any further questions you might have in the future if you would like to request me by name.

Jenny McKenzie :

Many thanks and all the best for the future and with your enterprise!

Customer: Thank you