Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in UK Employment Law
29905560

hi, i just came to work in the morning and i realized that

hi, i just came to work in the morning and i realized that i dont have a badge and they sand me home without pay. ok i understand that but next week i ve got holiday and they said that holiday will be suspended. can they do that way? i didnt planed what happend in the morning i just forgot it. i am single mother of 1 year old baby. i planed already holiday and i cant change this just like that cause this costs the money and i dont have any other income than this.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why are they suspending your holiday? Also do they mean you are expected to be in work next week?
Customer:

i dont know but i thonk yes. what should i do?

Ben Jones :

Have you been suspended from work?

Customer:

no just holiday

Customer:

can they do this?

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

6 years

Customer:

and they never had a problem with me like that

Ben Jones :

Once a holiday request has been approved, it is binding and can only really be varied with the consent of both parties. If the request had not yet been approved then the employer could have refused it by giving you certain notice, but this only applies if it had not yet been formally approved. If an employer has granted your request, you have relied on that to make plans and they later come back to you and tell you that you cannot take that holiday, then it would amount to a breach of trust and confidence on their part and they will not be acting in accordance with the Working Time Regulations which deal with holidays.

You have the right to take the annual leave which you have applied for and which has been granted.

Customer:

thank you thats really helpfull

Ben Jones :

you cannot be forced to come into work, as far as you are aware you have officially granted leave which you are entitled to take. If the employer decides to take any formal action against you as a result then there is nothing stopping them but you can defend that and if they go ahead and dismiss, which I hope would not be the case, it can also potentially amount to unfair dismissal which you can challenge if necessary

Customer:

thank you

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Unless you have further questions about this please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and all the best

Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Expert in UK Employment Law