Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR

I recently handed in my letter of resignation at my current

I recently handed in my letter of resignation at my current job and my boss has taken it very badly (saying it is not a good time personally for her). She has been very unprofessional about the whole thing but I have ignored that.
However, she is arranging for temporary cover to come in when I leave (next week) and has said she wants the temporary PA to use my email address (my name@company domain).
Are they allowed to send and receive emails from an account with my name after I have gone?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, why have they said they want to do this? Is it not possible for a new email address to be created for her to use?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She will only provide temporary cover for a month and they do not want the hassle of setting up a new email.

They also don't want to 'confuse' all the people I have been dealing with up until now. They would have to inform of a change of email now and then again in a month when the new permanent PA joins.

Are they trying to pass this person off as you or are they going to put a statement on the email to say that it is not from you as you have left?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They have not indicated anything about a statement but I suppose I could ask them to include one? Do they legally have to do this?

Hi unfortunately there is no legal requirement that they provide an email address to the person or indeed that they inform people in the first instance that you have left your job.

However it would not be good customer relations for them to pass someone off as you and, quite understandably, you will have concerns about someone else sending emails out in your name.

I would suggest you explain that you are uncomfortable with the situation but ask that it be clarified in a signature to the email (which is easy to set up) that the author of the email is another person.

Your employer should not object to this. If they do you can argue that it is in breach of the contractual requirement of trust and confidence in the employment relationship.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer positive feedback. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, due to the breakdown of the relationship and going on previous behaviour, if I express concern then they will likely do the opposite of what I ask.

Is there nothing that can prevent them from sending emails out from an address with my name and with my signature at the bottom?

I completely fail to see why they would want to pass off emails as coming from you. Any email sent from a company is on behalf of the company rather than the individual sending it.

There is no law which prevents them from doing this. If you were to suffer a loss in terms of reputation or in terms of you being personally bound by an email sent in your name you may be able to bring a claim for any losses you might suffer as a result.

It is however unlikely that this would occur and there is nothing in law, as I have already stated, which can be used to stop them from doing this.

As I have already stated it is not in the company's interests to send out mail in your name when you do not work there. I think it is highly unlikely that they would object to making it clear on the email is not sent from you personally.

I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time. If you have any further questions please ask. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience: 10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR