How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4301
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My wife is a high-earner and joined a company in

Resolved Question:


My wife is a high-earner and joined a company in 2009 but was made redundant in 2011 (4 years service). When she started, the company failed to use the Tax Code provided on her P45 meaning that she was taxed at Basic Rate and underpaid some £34K in Tax. We are in the process of appealing this with HMRC with a view to a write off due to Employer Error.

However, when she was made redundant, a lot of her redundancy went to an interim payment to keep the HMRC off her back (around £20K). Added to this, she has had telephone calls, postage, specialist accountant fees etc. to fight against the HMRC as well as many sleepness nights and stress - caused by the Employers simple inability to adhere to HMRC procedures and use the Tax Code figures provided on her P45. She has also needed to use Credit Cards as her redundancy money went to the HMRC and has also had Bank Problems with missed payments etc. and the associated charges.

Once she gets her HMRC refund, she would like to sue the former employer to recover these costs and also get compensation for 2 years of sheer hell fighting the HMRC.

Do you think this would be possible and under what type of legal framework could she do this - she is considering the MoneyClaim On-Line path for under £10K which would put it through the "Small Claim" Track.

Thank you for your considered reply.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

She should first try and settle the matter amicably if at possible with her ex employer, it may well be that there will be no need to go to court.

If amicable negotiations do not work, then she should put down her claim in writing and give the ex employer say 14 days to pay failing which she may take legal proceedings against them.

If they still do not pay, she may then file her claim for money online at

She should itemise her losses so that whatever amount she is claiming is justifiable.

The ex employer had a duty of care to her to use the correct tax code and it seems they were negligent in doing so.

The final decision would obviously lie with the judge if the matter ended up in the courts.

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - Thanks for that - I can itemise all costs.


What about compensation for 2 years of hell and sleepness nights due to worry ?


How do you itemise this ?



Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
She would need to show that there was negligent infliction of emotional distress on her which could be supported by doctors' letters.

The court may be invited to award damages for the emotional distress as it would be difficult to quantify.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 4301
Experience: solicitor
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Jenny McKenzie

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
< Last | Next >
  • Jenny McKenzie's Avatar

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience