Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR

Can i hire a union representative to come to my discipliary

Can i hire a union representative to come to my discipliary hearing if i'm not in a union
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, do you work in an unionised environment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i have to be there this morning at 9am and he has told me there may be a note taker or it will be just me and him. The problem is i don't know if this is an investigation or a disciplinary. He has told me i can't speak to any 3rd party but he has already told my work collegues about my case as they have been telling me about this.

So do you know that you are in a disciplinary this morning, have you received an invite to disciplinary letter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The letter said Disciplinary Investigation for misconduct but nothing else other than not to speak to 3rd party and there may be a note taker. So is this a disciplinary or an investigation?

Hi it is an investigation meeting, there is no legal right to representation at the investigation meeting, this only occurs once a disciplinary hearing is called .

It is possbile that after the investigation the employer may not go ahead with a disciplinary at all.

If they do you have the legal right to be accompanied by a trade union representative or a work colleague.

There is no reason why you cannot engage the services of a trade union representative to assist you. Unite is one union which is currently advertising the benefits of its membership. Their website is

All the best with this.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.