Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

If an employee has a termination date agreed under a compromise

If an employee has a termination date agreed under a compromise agreement but after taking legal advice wants more money is that termination date effective or is the employee still technically employed? Jill

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was the compromise agreement accepted and signed by both parties?

Customer: No she took it to her solicitor who advised her of potential claims and to uplift from 5k promised to 10k. No deal struck at present and the termination in the agreement was 19th
Ben Jones :

In this case the CA would not have been agreed as a legally binding document and it would have still been in the negotiation stage. Until both parties expressly agree to the terms of the agreement and signify this by signing it only then will it become a legally binding document. If the employee has simply received advice about this and has now changed her mind about the terms of the agreement, she is perfectly entitled to do this and it is back to the negotiations table I'm afraid. In the meantime she remains employed

Customer: Thanks Ben that's brilliant. I will definitely use you again Jill
Ben Jones :

You are most welcome and all the best