Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Hi just a quick question If i have Doctors appointments

Hi just a quick question

If i have Doctors appointments and tell my boss about it, how soon do i have to tell my boss after the appointment and how many days notice should be given,

For instance i receive my doctors appointments Friday evening, and tell my employer Monday morning... is this acceptable?

Ben Jones :

Hello again, is there a policy that deals with this in your workplace?

Customer:

Not entirely sure

Customer:

I'm sure there is a employees handbook but have misplaced

Ben Jones :

were you taking the time off as holiday/

Customer:

I was on Friday when i had the doctors appointment yes, but not over the weekend i had those days of work and returned monday

Ben Jones :

why do you need to tell your employer about this appointment?

Customer:

Because i was asked what day these appointments was booked by the manager

Ben Jones :

first of all you need to check if there is a specific policy which requires you to notify your employer of appointments within a certain period. Assuming there is nothing that specific in your workplace you would be expected to inform the employer within a 'reasonable period'. The law does not specify a notice period that must be given in these circumstances and it will always depend on the individual case. Here, receiving this on Fri evening and letting your employer know on Mon morning is very likely to be reasonable as you have not unnecessarily delayed telling them especially considering it was over the weekend

Customer:

Ok, I didn't think so but they have been so off with me i thought id check... do you mind if i ask something for a friend who has problems with his boss also?

Ben Jones :

yes of course but it will have to be posted as a new question as it is not related to this one

Customer:

Ok thanks