Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
32019188

Hi, Im an electrician working as reactive maintenance and

Hi, I'm an electrician working as reactive maintenance and am expected to be on call for one week at a time every 5 weeks. My company does not pay a standby fee for me when I am on call and can therefore wast the entire week unable to Perdue hobbies or socialising for no money if I don't get a call out (which happens more often than not). Do I have any legal right to request being paid a standby charge if any description?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, can you tell me the following, as far as the company is concerned are you allowed to do as you wish during the standby time? Are you paid if you are actually called in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are allowed to do as you want as long as you can respond to a call within an hour. The area we cover is fairly expansive so you are very limited what you can do. Yes you get paid a flat rate for the call regardless of time it takes but nothing for being on call
Hi this situation is covered by the National Minimum Wage Regulations (Reg 15). The employer is NOT obliged to pay an employee where they are on call at home, so long as they are paid for periods that they are on duty. This means, unfortunately, that the employer has no obligation to pay you during on call time.

I am really sorry about this.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your questions I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.