Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I was given an offer letter stating that the notice period

I was given an offer letter stating that the notice period is 3 months, but on the day I started with the company I was given a contract stating "Employees are required to give 4 weeks notice of termination of employment to the company"
I am thinking of leaving the company, do I need to give the original 3 months notice or can I give just 4 weeks notice?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded.

For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

Customer:

Hello Ben

Customer:

I have worked with this company for just over 6 years

Ben Jones :

Thank you for your patience. If you were initially given a notice period of 3 months but this was later superseded by a different contract/agreement that changed the notice period, the latter would apply and in your case you would only need to give 4 weeks' notice.

Were you hoping to give just the 4 weeks or the initially agreed 3 months?

Customer:

Hi Ben

Customer:

Many thanks for your reply. Yes I was hoping to give just 4 weeks notice, this suits me better.

Customer:

Regards Stephen

Ben Jones :

ok excellent, all the best.