Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in UK Employment Law
29905560

I have started a case against a former employee and I have

I have started a case against a former employee and I have been dealing with his solicitors. I just got a letter from him saying that he is going to represent himself. I spoke with him and he said that he wanted to discuss a settlement. He asked me not to continue with the current case until we had been able to talk and discuss things. What are my options ?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

Ben Jones :

Sorry just realised that my initial query was incorrect and was aimed at another customer. Can you please let me know what you are suing him for?

Customer: for a loan repayment to the company. The company made a loss and when he resigned the loan repayment became due. He is saying that the company did not make a loss and so the loan is not repayable
Ben Jones :

it is entirely up to you whether you discuss any settlement with this person and you are not legally obliged to do so. However, it may be in your best interest to do so as you essentially have nothing to lose and there may be an opportunity to settle this matter without having to go through a formal court hearing. It does not mean that you have to place the current claim on hold and you can still proceed with it but if you meet and agree a settlement you can always withdraw it at a later stage. Just make sure that you do not miss any deadlines with the case as a result of this and continue with the claim as normal - any negotiations will take place on the side

Ben Jones :

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you

Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Expert in UK Employment Law