Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I was suspended from work pending an investigation for violent

I was suspended from work pending an investigation for violent and aggressive behaviour at 10.50 pm on 25.06 then on the 26.06 they called me in to work at 14.30 to say my suspension is finished and I can return on shift on 27.06 at 12-10pm ..... What happened was I'm a chef and had a disagreement with my F&B manager he shouted at me I shouted back then he went came back with a suspension form and suspended me in the presence of our night manager

On talking to some people they seem to think that if my suspension has been cancelled then so should the investigation can you answer this for me

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: I have been working there since April 1996
Ben Jones :

A suspension is a precautionary step by the employer where they wish to take an employee out of the business for a short period of time to prevent any animosity between staff, preserve evidence or minimise any damage the employee's presence may cause to the company or other staff - these are just examples. Suspension should only really be used in more serious cases and should not last longer than is necessary. As soon as it is clear that an employee does not need to be on suspension any longer the employer should allow them to return to work. However, that does not mean that any investigation would come to an end as well. It is entirely possible for a person to be allowed to return to work, because there is no further need to keep them on suspension, but for the investigation to continue. The two do not always go hand in hand - whilst following suspension one may expect the employer to start an investigation, if the suspension is lifted it does not mean that the investigation will terminate at the same time.

Ben Jones :

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you