Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Hi, right now I am employed in company (software) which claims

Customer Question

right now I am employed in company (software) which claims all IP rights (anytime, anywhere) and forbid me from any other employment or freelance work that would directly or indirectly influence the business. My friend and I want to set up a new business (in fitness, totally different form my current employer). I know that as long as i am employed I can not be director or any other employee in this new business.

Is there a way how i can be involved in this new business and do not break the law and interests with my current employer? (e.g. something like passive shareholder)

If i could be any type of shareholder would my current employer have any IP rights for new business trademark and products ?

Is there other ways how i can be involved in company, do not break the law, and after few years when i leave the current company i would become a director of this new business?

Thank you very much for your answers.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you currently an employee or self employed?

JACUSTOMER-z1xdd60z- :

I am employee in software company.

Ben Jones :

Will you remain in employment with your current employer?

JACUSTOMER-z1xdd60z- :

Yes, would like to. Right now i cant afford to leave a job.

JACUSTOMER-z1xdd60z- :

One of the reasons why i get this job is that i would be able to invest money to our business.

Ben Jones :

ok thanks leave it with me please, i will need to look into this in more detail so will get back to you later on, you will get an email when I have replied

JACUSTOMER-z1xdd60z- :

Ok, thanks.

Ben Jones :

I have looked into your query but do not think I have the answer to your question so will opt out and let other experts take this further if they can. Someone should respond shortly. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thanks

JACUSTOMER-z1xdd60z- :

Hi, do you have any new info regard to my question ?