Matt J
Matt J, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with over 5 years experience in Civil, Commercial and Employment Law matters
13732703

Having recently changed employment i have received a pay slip

Customer Question

Having recently changed employment i have received a pay slip showing various deductions from my wages for training that the company asked me to attend, i had no prior notification of this at my final interview and my hour advice slip that i recieved while still employed did not have this information either.
Is this legal or should i be invoiced for it as the company has already claimed the tax relief?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Matt J replied 3 years ago.

Matt J :

hi i will try and help

Matt J :

did you have a written contract of employment?

Matt J :

hi

Matt J :

I cant see any reply, have you responded as yet?

JACUSTOMER-v10nfey6- :

yes, it says if you are given paid training by the company the full cost may be recovered from you if you leave within 24 months of the completion.

JACUSTOMER-v10nfey6- :

the amount repayable is reduced by one twentyfourth for every month following completionm

JACUSTOMER-v10nfey6- :

The problem is that all that has been entered on the pay advice note are some hand written figures with out showing any adjustment for time served and no invoice has been submitted showing these details so that may claim the tax relief for completeing these courses as part of my profession

Matt J :

thanks

Matt J :

as these course were paid by your employer in the first place, I presume they would have to invoice you directly for this, is that your thinking?

JACUSTOMER-v10nfey6- :

Yes

Matt J :

After reflection I am not sure there is any legal obligation on your employer to do this (assuming there is not a direct clause in your contract to the contrary). The contract clause is essentially an indemnity clause that protects your employer and requires you to reimburse for losses at the given rate. I am not sure that they have to invoice you as that contractual relationship is slightly different. of course then can at their discretion and you can of course request this but I cant see, from the information you have given me, that you can oblige them.

Matt J :

sorry, bad grammar at the end. I meant to say that you cant rely on the fact that they are obliged

Matt J :

i hope this helps. if you wish to ask any follow up questions then please do so