Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I have given my company notice that I am leaving on the 5th

I have given my company notice that I am leaving on the 5th July.
I have given 2 weeks although my contract states one week, the company has responded by saying I can only have 1 week and I need to leave at the end of next week (28th June) although I have not yet had this in writing.

Is this allowed?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I am afraid you cannot force the employer to accept a notice period that is longer than the one what is required of you under contract. If you give a notice period that is longer than that required under contract the employer has two options - either to accept it, or to reject it. If they reject it then your employment would simply terminate when the contractual notice you were required to give expires