Ben Jones
Ben Jones , UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Since when is it against the Law to swear. Did some case study

Customer Question

Since when is it against the Law to swear. Did some case study investigations and, apparently not.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Please provide more details of your situation

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

The company is called Signscape and Signconnex and they offered me an employment of contract. In the first day, I was offered cigarettes and then on the third, issued a letter of dismissal for 'being unprofessional' and 'swearing'.

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

Confuscious.

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

Just spent three months giving up and then call that professional.

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

*they

Ben Jones :

what does the swearing have to do with this?

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

That is true. However, they have not provided legal reference that says I am not aloud to swear.

Ben Jones :

Sorry but I am unclear as to what your query actually is, can you please be a bit more specific with what exactly you need to know as the detail you have provided so far is a bit vague, thanks

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

Well. Do I need to hire a lawyer then. Seeing as there is no law against what was said. They have put down in writing that they are incapable of making a decision. I understand probationary however, they have provided no terms to agree to other than to provide reference - not be requested of it!

Ben Jones :

ok let's try a different approach, what are you trying to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

Hi Sorry, working my way around your site. Well at the moment employment stability however, I have since leaving my last position been accused of drug taking, racism and fired for swearing, which are either untrue or legally binding. It seems to be a list of employers who are asking to be sued! I have spent the money from the CA as it was considered earned as opposed to settlement however, kept all documentation regarding the issues that led up to it. Since this time I have done some travelling and there has been sickness in the family and now I am been with defamation of character by a number of employers making assumptions without any proof. I am in a predicament as to further attending interviews which I am being offered or accepting work being that this situation now in my mind is already out of control for the number of employees that are involved! I have an education and have completed a number of CPD course which can demonstrate not only my commitment but also professionalism and I do not understand how they deem it acceptable to mess someone around this way!

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

*not legally binding

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

*being

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

*employers

Ben Jones :

It is not illegal to swear as such, but swearing in the workplace can amount to misconduct, which is a disciplinary matter, and in more serious cases also lead to dismissal.

You mention that since leaving you have been accused of various things - in what capacity did the people that make the accusations do that? Was it in an official reference?

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

I am not sure, I am presently seeking information from my personnel file to find out. The issue of swearing was down to shear tiredness which happened on the second day of my employment with the company and also, slight frustration at a clearly distracted manager who was not giving clear or direct instructions and constantly slitting between roles. It was a most confusing and poor example of 'training'.

JACUSTOMER-b2rqdmrf- :

The company is also a member of the Supply Chain, which is managed by the previous boss who threatened my future employment! Further to this I was then offered four weeks employment by another company, not realising at first that they were also members of the same Supply Chain however, they made false allegations of drug misuse and retained personal belongings asking me not to return to the company, also expelling me from future opportunity with the contract recruitment company who have now said it is OK for them to do so by making reference to contract conditions which were never seen or signed or brought to my attention previously! I have requested information from my personnel file with respect to this as I will not accept being falsely accused of something which is grossly untrue.