Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I was recently made redundant from my job on the 17th April

Customer Question

I was recently made redundant from my job on the 17th April 2013.
I was told a restructure was taking place as they were having a new system put in place, therefore as a result they would be reducing the numbers by 2 people. As the date came closer, our managers back filled the redundant position with freelance staff and said the project was delayed. Everyone was given their duties for the next six weeks except me, we are shift workers in he media business. After complaining I was given a chance for the redundancy date to be change to July 26h 2013, I didn't take up the offer as I feel everyone was given their rotas but me. I am a working mother and have to organise child care. The company also stated that after 8 weeks I could come back as a freelancer, but to date I have not received any calls. The original Freelancers have been given work till the middle of August. The other lady has had her redundancy post boned till October 2013 as the project has been delayed. They have also hired a new full time staff member due to start next week.
Have I any rights? Thanks M
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jenny McKenzie replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, when did your employment commence and were you the only person made redundant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 and 1/2 positions were cut from my department

One girl who didn't come back from maternity leave and the other girl was on a static shift, and she accepted the extension until 26th July 2013.

My position was back filled by Freelance staff. The girl who accepted the extension has been granted another extension until the end of the year.

Meanwhile I was supposed to be asked back as a Freelancer but this has not happened. A total of 17 position were made redundant from the entire company. My employment commenced on Jan 01 2011, I worked for the company for 2 years and 3 months and was the last person to be hired. I have just turned 50 years old, just for your info.
Hi I am just travelling and am about to lose connection is it ok if I respond in full first thing tomorrow morning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I await your answer.

Hello have your employer heard your appeal yet? If so what was the outcome?