Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

I have been invited to a Investigatory meeting this Monday

I have been invited to a Investigatory meeting this Monday the 17/6 over a grievance raised by one of my work colleagues, we are both Duty Managers but my colleagues also covers my Site Manager when he is off on holiday. Do you thinks there is a conflict of interest with my Site Manager asking the questions on this investigation? I have invited my trade union rep to attend this meeting with me on Mon.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. is the site manager involved in any other way in this?

Not really, I just feel his opinion may sway towards my colleague as my Site Manager covers 2 Site, one here in Scotland & the other down south. The person raising the grievance covers his work on various days when the Site Manager is away.

Ben Jones :

There is no direct conflict of interest here and whilst the other employee may be covering the manager's work, the manager is not in any way involved in the allegations or the issues at hand and this is where the most common conflicts would arise.

In these circumstances the investigating manager would have a duty to act impartially anyway and any bias should hopefully become obvious in their investigation. Also, this is just the investigatory stage - no formal decision will be taken there and it would just give an dea to the employer whether this is something that merits further action or not.

Great thanks for your help

Ben Jones :

My pleasure. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service I have provided you with as that is an important part of our process. Thank you