UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor

signed contract sent by email; legally binding?

I recently rented a flat (in the UK) and the letting agency sent me the copy of the contract signed by both parties only by email, in PDF. The file contains both my signature and that of the landlord. Is this file, or its printout, legally binding in the UK?

Yes, it is legally binding provided it is a real copy of the original document and the signatures are indeed real.

Hope this helps . Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just seemed suspicious to me because in my country a contract must be an original copy, officially registered at the national revenue and customs office, one for the landlord, one for the tenant, I am just asking if in the UK is acceptable and legal for a letting agency to send just a scanned copy to the tenant and if this procedure complies with the UK law.

In the UK this is legally binding and acceptable. You may ask for a hard copy to be sent to you by the agency.

Please leave feedback