Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR

Hello - my employer (in the UK) wants me to travel on long

Hello - my employer (in the UK) wants me to travel on long haul flights the weekend and tells me I should take the day off if I want to do so on weekdays (ie work days). I will not get compensated if I do the long haul work trips on a weekend.

Their rationale is that the partners at the firm have always done it this way since the firm was founded. However I just joined recently and just a regular employee, not a partner.

Their policy does not appear legal to me. What do you think?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello it's been just under a year
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just under a year (not sure you got my previous reply)

Hello I've been offline unexpectedly for a few days would you still like help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes please!
Ok I will get back to you this morning.
Hello have you been required to do this since you started and are other people at your level required to do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes to both

I just want to be sure that I understand the position are you saying that you are not receiving time off in lieu for travel at the weekends?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's right. I am not receiving any time off for that.

Hello, perhaps surprisingly there is no law that requires an employer to give time off in lieu for travel time taken at the weekend. It is a matter for the employer to decide if it wants to give such time off.

The exception to that is that the employer should ensure that you do not frequently breach the 48 hour working week.

You are, of course entitled to raise a grievance but if the employer's position is that time off in lieu will not be given there is little, in practice, that you can do about this.

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.