UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor

hi jomo 1972 i am looking to prepare a contract for a trainee

Customer Question

hi jomo 1972

i am looking to prepare a contract for a trainee watchmaker to commit himself to work for me say 2 - 3 years in exchange for my training him.Can you help

Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Good to hear from you again!

This isn't really my area though so I'll pass this onto somebody else for you

All the best.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I believe you may be looking at an Apprenticeship Agreement.

Further details and a template agreement appear here:

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI ,

WHERE exactly is the template agreement please ?

At the bottom of the page which I linked you to:

, click on View/download the Apprenticeship Agreement Q&A and Template (Word)

You may also be eligible for a grant of £1500, see the section under "Employers".

All the best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks ,

I also want to include a restrictive clause if he leaves me say after 3 - 5 years that he can't work within a certain radius of my business

The courts do not like such restrictions on trade/employment and the covenant needs to be drafted carefully so as to be reasonable and to protect your legitimate business interest.

You could draft a covenant along the following lines: "In consideration of the time, investment and training provided by the employer in respect of the employment of [xxxx/employee's name], xxx agrees not to operate within zzz miles of the employer's premises for a period of [say12 months] after termination of his employment for whatever reason. xxx acknowledges that this is a reasonable restriction to protect the legitimate business interests of the employer to the extent permissible by law."

Obviously if the matter went to court, the court will have the final say over whether or not the restrictive covenant is enforcable or not, hopefully it will not go to court ever.

Please leave feedback