Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in UK Employment Law

Hi there, I have been working in my current roles for 6months.

Hi there, I have been working in my current roles for 6months. I signed a letter of intent to join which included holiday, wage and payment period. I have not signed a contract since joining and now would like to leave.
Am unsure if any terms in my contract legally bind me even if I haven't signed? I asked my employer to go self employed and is the reason I have never signed.

Thanks
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know what your spesific question is.

Customer: Hi Ben,
Customer: I have been in my role for 6months and have not signed a contract. I signed a letter of confirmation that included wage, holiday and confirmation of payment. I'm desperately unhappy in this role and would like to leave. I have signed no contract and have no idea what is illegally binding by me just being here, without signing a contract. Am very senior.
Customer: i am looking to hand my notice in shortly and wood like to understand my legal standing.
Ben Jones :

Thank you for your patience. What terms of the contract are you particularly concerned about?

Customer: I have never signed one. So have no idea on terms or what they may be. If I haven't signed a contract would that mean standard employment terms would apply to me? Thanks
Ben Jones :

If you have not signed a contract then you will be bound by certain general statutory principles as well as any terms which you had agreed to, such as those contained in the letter of intent.

If you wish to leave, the main issue in these circumstances would be what notice period you are required to give. No one can stop you leaving but you have to give appropriate notice. In the absence of a contract, you would be expected to give the minimum statutory notice period of 1 week. I suggest you submit that in writing to the employer and then your employment will automatically terminate once that period has expired.

You would then be paid up to your last day of employment, including any accrued holidays.

Ben Jones :

Is that what you wanted to know or do you need me to clarify anything?

Customer: I think that answers it perfectly Ben. Many thanks
Ben Jones :

My pleasure, all the best

Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Expert in UK Employment Law