Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Hello, I have a new startup and looking to employ 3 staff.

Hello, I have a new startup and looking to employ 3 staff. My office is currently at home and the place of work on my employment contracts are my home address.

I am looking for offices and may have found one approx 3 miles from my home address. My question is, do I have to pay additional travel compensation when the new office is in place?

One additional question is at what point do I need to provide an employment contract. Is it required before they commence work?

Thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

No you do not have to pay additional compensation for travel, but I suggest you have a clause in the contract which says the employees can have their current place of work changed at any time to a new location within a reasonable travelling distance.

There is no legal obligation to provide a contract to employees. However, you have to provide them with a written statement of employment particulars, which can be covered by issuing a contract, within 2 months of starting work.

Excellent, many thanks.

That is what I thought

Ben Jones :

My pleasure. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service I have provided you with as that is an important part of our process. Thank you