Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Hi I have just checked my bank balance to find that the NHS

Hi I have just checked my bank balance to find that the NHS have paid me a months wages, and I left them over six weeks ago???? The money has been gobbled up in my overdraft, and has finally put my bank balance into the black, but what do I do now, as I know that I handed in my resignation form, completed a leavers form with my line manager and now have been paid again????? I have no idea who I need to contact about this, and would I be entitled to keep the money as it is their mistake, and would potentially cause me difficulties financially???
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Why do you think you do not need to repay it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had hoped because it is not my mistake that has been made but theirs, as I followed all procedures set out for leaving my job.

If thye madea mistake you are obliged to repay it and to not do so is a criminal offence if you knowingly spend money which isnt yrs.
It is unlikely to arrise here becuase you have no control over the banks actions but you are faced with paying it back. it is avery common question and under no curcumstances are you allowed to keep this money if they ask for it back.
sorry. I know that isnt what you wanted to hear but there is no point in me misleading you

Does that answer the question? Can I assist any further?

I am happy to follow up any individual point you make

I am online and off-line each day and most weekends so please bear with me if I do not come back to you within nanoseconds.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn’t give me “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think it would be reasonable to ask to pay it back over a set period of time??

There is no statutory right to do that but it wouldnt be unreasonable.
How much have they paid you and how much would you pay per month?
Have they asked for the money yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been paid £1,031 and I don't know how much I would pay to be fair, and no they haven't asked for any money, I only noticed when I popped on a few hours ago, and then went onto the internet and found this site to ask my question.

BE PREPARED. they will find out.
I would put aside at elast £100 per month NOW to cover the eventuality.
If they ask, offer £200 per month and even if they refuse, simply keep sending cheques.
i am afraid that even if they dont ask, this money is never yours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for you help, much appreciated :) I will do as you suggest