Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  17 years experience

I have a non solicitation clause in my contract - can I talk

I have a non solicitation clause in my contract - can I talk to ex customers about services that my old employer did not provide?

Buachaill :

1. The answer to this question really depends on the wording of your non-solicitation clause. In principle, the non-solicitation clause should only protect the goodwill of the employer. However, that may also extend to analogous lines of business which cover the same general area of trading. So you need to check the wording to see what it covers. There is no absolute rule of law that a non-solicitation clause cannot cover services your old employer did not provide. For example, the non-solicitation clause in a solicitor specialising in conveyancing transactions might also cover business formation as this is all part of a solicitor's practice even though the particular solicitor does not work on business formation transactions on a day by day basis.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid