UK Employment Law
Ask an UK Employment Law Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.
17 years - commenced 26 January 1996
17 years - started employment 26 January 1996
I cant see your answer Ben - can you help ?
where is the answer
Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier. Ca you please clarify what you actually wish to achieve - do you not want one of the higher grade jobs and wish to be made redundant instead?
Yes Ben - in March this year I asked if I could reduce my working week from 30 to 22.5 hours. My employers said they were unable to meet this request so I said I would like to retire from my post. My line manager wrote "I made you aware that if you choose to retire now at the end of March, you may have an effect on any reundancy option that may arise from reconfiguration over the coming months' .
Sorry, that may not be clear but I wish to be considered for a redundancy package
Are you still going ahead with the retirement plans at this stage?
If I am not made redundant then yes, I will decide to retire, - BUT I am in line for a redundancy package of £11,000 + and I am very keen to secure this if I can as my state pension is delayed until late 2014 and my occ. pension is at best modest.
When a redundancy situation arises, an employer has a duty to consider and offer the affected employees any suitable alternative employment (“SAE”) that may exist at the time. The objective is to keep the employee in employment rather than make them redundant.
If an employee accepts an offer of SAE, their employment will continue in the new position and they would lose their entitlement to a redundancy payment.
If the offer is considered unsuitable and the employee refuses it, they will still keep their entitlement to redundancy pay. However, if an offer of SAE has been made and the employee unreasonably refuses it, they would lose their entitlement to redundancy pay.
The factors that would usually make an offer unsuitable or a refusal reasonable are as follows:
If the employer makes an offer of alternative employment, where the terms and conditions differ from their current ones, the employee has the right to a 4-week trial period in that job, which can be extended by mutual consent. If during or immediately after the trial period they decide against taking the job then they should tell their employer straight away. This will not affect their employment rights, including their right to receive statutory redundancy pay.
So the main issue here is whether you have been offered a SAE position (including the opportunity to apply for one), and whether you have either been unsuccessful in it, or have reasonable refused it. If either apply then you would still be entitled to your redundancy. However, if you have been offered such a position and unreasonable refuse to accept it, you can jeopardise your redundancy.
One of the posts would be considered suitable as it pretty much mirrors my seconded position - but none of the new posts marries up to my substantive role as that job is completely discontinued across the 3 sites I work in. It seems that by accepting this secondment I may have to apply for one of the newly formed posts
How long was the secondment supposed to be for?
initially for 6 months but it has been extended for 2 month periods at a time - I have just signed another 'Extension of Secondment' which ends on 31 July 2013. This means I will have been on secondment for 19 months..
you would be made redundant from your substantial position so any SAE positions would need to be compared to that one
Thank you Ben - I wondered if that might be the case. The correspondence cites my seconded position as being discontinued and my own substantive role is not listed. Perhaps I would be eligible for redundancy after all. May I quote our conversation Ben to my employer?
Yes you may certainly do so but just remember that this is not formal legal advice. As to your situation it would be treated as a two-step process - initially your secondment is being discontinued, as a result you would return to your substantive post. If that is then also being discontinued you would then be at risk of redundancy from that position
I understand and thank you - perhaps I should decline any further extension to my secondment now
yes you may do so
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).