Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in UK Employment Law

I hit all and exceed all of my targets, time keeping, productivity,

Customer Question

I hit all and exceed all of my targets, time keeping, productivity, first call resolution, sales per contact hour and I get paid comission and rank in the top 8 out of 100 for highest comission paid however I miss one target Customer Service add ons which does not affect my comission, can I be disciplined for this?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

Are you being disciplined for this solely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes everything else meets expectatins or exceeds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
No response
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is there a policy that says you can be disciplined for this? Have others been disciplined for it before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not aware of a policy to say if a single target is not met that I can be disciplined as targets on sales are always changing, so depending on which target they set or withdraw due to business needs.

Everything is monitored from sickness to time keeping, Adherence to time schedule (so if you are stuck on a call and overrun your break time productivity can be out of the target set)

I am not sure if anyone has been disciplined for this as awards are given out for hitting Customer Service add ons even though the people that get the award do not hit their other targets to be compliant with all targets but get a reward for doing so.

Depending on the calls we receive some take longer to answer than others as I am sure you will know, but yet again my scores are above target for dealing with this.

My calls get listened too and I admit to not offering an add on but sometimes if a client calls as a payment has been missed why should I add something else as it cause more affordability, we are regulated by the FSA (now FCA).

If I forget to ask they say I am not doing the job correctly.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The employer can potentially discipline you if you have not adhered to company policy, or your performance falls below what has been set by the employer. However, the fairness of such action will largely depend on whether there is a policy that says such breaches can result in disciplinary action or if you were told otherwise that this could lead to you being disciplined. You need to know what is expected of you and the consequences of failing to achieve it. You should have been given specific targets and told what would happen if these are not met. Randomly disciplining you for a single breach, when no previous indication has been given that failing to reach this target would result in formal action could make any such action unfair and unreasonable. Therefore, if the employer does proceed with this, not only will you have the chance to formally defend yourself, but also appeal the outcome. If this fails to overturn the outcome, then you may also consider going down the grievance route, using the above arguments as your main ground for complaint.

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if the targets have changed since being employed with the company over 2 yrs ago and they monitor my performance for 4 months and whilst during this period withdraw the need to sell add ons then reapply the need is this fair.

As for 121 and appraisals to my knowledge they should be held on a monthly basis this has not been done due to secondment and various managers and since Jan 2013 I have had only two 121 but twice monthly coaching sessions based purely on this and not on development. This part being because the call centre is too busy to hold staff meetings etc.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The targets can change as and when the employer feels it is necessary but these changes need to be communicated to you and you need to be given a reasonable opportunity to achieve these targets. So another consideration would also be whether it is reasonable to expect an employee in your position to achieve these set targets.

The 121 issue is relevant if having these meetings would have improved your performance and avoided what has now happened.

As your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer - it only takes a second to do. I can then continue providing further advice and answer follow up questions if needed. Thank you.
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Expert in UK Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally when I joined the company every advisor was skilled whether by Customer service, new sales or renewals on policies.

Since then we have been made partially into Universal Advisors as not everyone is universally trained in all aspects.

It is still recognised within the company that some people fit certain roles better than others, so I could be related as great at renewals, home sales, and general enquires but poor on sales add onns for existing policy holders.

So my role has changed and targets changed to suit my abilities.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.