HiA few years ago, my company enrolled everyone onto a

Customer Question

A few years ago, my company enrolled everyone onto a pension scheme, I believe this may have been mandatory for them.

Some of us who weren't on pension schemes were given the option of instead taking a "Salary Supplement" roughly equivalent to what the company would've paid into a pension on our behalf, I believe it's around 6%

Due to the recent Auto-enrollment pension changes, they have today written to me saying that they are now going to contribute to a new SIPP on my behalf at a rate of 9% of my annual salary per year.

They will however be removing the approx 6% salary supplement I have been receiving for some years.

Someone has mentioned to me that if I have become dependant upon that salary supplement, that the company should not be removing that from me to assist with funding the 9% contribution to my SIPP

Can you confirm whether or not this is the case?

Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.
Customer : Hi Ben
Customer : I've worked there 10 years, I estimate this supplement has been in place for 2-3 years, the paperwork is probably in the loft!
Ben Jones : I have looked into your query but do not think I have the answer to your question so will opt out and let other experts take this further if they can. Someone should respond shortly. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thanks
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
fine to wait thanks
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on a professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please refund