michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience of dealing with employment law matters and qualified mediator

My employer has mentioned the possibility of offering a settlement

My employer has mentioned the possibility of offering a settlement if I indicate my desire not to return to my role after a period of illness - do I need to be careful in the initial stage of requesting that I dont wish to return? what is the safest way to phrase it so I wont effect any settlement?

The best way is to use equivocal language such as "if you (the employer) were minded to offer me a reasonable voluntary severance package I would be inclined to accept it (or consider it seriously) This way you are not saying that you are leaving but simply saying that if they make an offer you will consider it.

I hope this helps.If there are any further points please reply.

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks - at what point should I bring in a solicitor for this? do I need to wait for them to offer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just to clarify to I need to mention that I am unable to return to my previous role?

I would wait until they make an offer before involving a solicitor and I would not mention that you are unable to return to your previous role if they are minded to make you an offer to terminate your employment anyway.It is not relevant at the moment and could just complicate things.

Yours sincerely