Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Is it illegal to have a bag search on a daily basis? I know

Is it illegal to have a bag search on a daily basis? I know of many retail stores that conduct daily employee bag searches. But employees at my work seem to think that it is illegal. Our contract/terms and conditions states that our company reserve the right to search employees bags, lockers or cars at any time. As i have recently been made the assistant to the Loss prevention manager I want to be clear on law of employee searches.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please let me know If your company does a daily bag search?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really, sometimes there will be a bag search a few days in a row then there will be a locker search a few days in a row. But after an employee has recently been fired because of theft they are making it more noticed that they are doing searches

is there a specific policy that deals with this matter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not that i am aware of

Before we proceed please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. As such there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice.

It is not illegal to have a daily bag search or even search the employees themselves. What is important is to have a clear and specific policy on this or have this right detailed in the employees' contracts. There are some workplaces where daily searches would be justified, for example if the employees are always exposed to stock or money and there is a need to control that by conducting these searches.

You can read in more detail about this matter here:

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/03/07/2007/41297/legal-q.htm

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you