Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Hi - I recently applied for a job with an English local authority

Hi - I recently applied for a job with an English local authority but was not short-listed for interview. When I asked for feedback I was told that I was not interviewed because I had "limited relevant experience of English local authorities". I work in Scotland in a very similar role, and people from England regularly obtain jobs in my profession in Scotland. The job advert and person specification did not mention specific experience of working for an English local authority.

Is it not direct or indirect discrimination to effectively restrict the field to people already working in England?

thanks
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 months ago.

It would depend on the job.

The law in Scotland is different from England so it might not be discrimination at all if you needed to have knowledge of legislation to take on the role.

If you were refuse collector it would almost certainly be discrimination.

Working in anything to do with Land or property, it probably would not be

It would depend on the job and what tasks were involved. Of course, there may simply have been better candidates, and they were being kind.

Can I assist any
further with this? Please bear with me today and this weekend because I will be
online and off-line.

Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi - If there were better candidates, then all they would have said was that there were better candidates.

I'm not sure I understand what difference it makes between a refuse collector or a job in land or property, which as it happens it was. Whilst the legal structure differ, the principles are similar (and management, the main role, is the same), There are numerous examples of people moving both ways across the border to work in my profession at a senior level. And if knowledge of English law was the key criteria, should this not have been set out in the person specification, so I would have tailored my application accordingly.

The principles of Land law in Scotland are totally different as is terminology and process.

Refuse collection is the same wherever you are.

If the role you were applying for needed any knowledge of land law or legal procedures, it isn't likely to be discrimination, sorry.

I am not certain what you mean by tailor you application because your experience is what it is.

I am sorry butt I just cant see discrimination on these facts as much as I would like to.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks for your help.